Sunday, June 6, 2010

Who Is "THAT NIGGER?"

I don’t know about you but as I listen to people talk as they walk along the street, or hang out with each other, and even from many of our youngsters, I too often hear them talking about “That Nigger.” “You should have seen That Nigger,” “Man I told That Nigger,” “I wish That Nigger would,” “That Nigger was bad,” and on and on and on about “That Nigger.” So I often find myself questioning who is “That Nigger?”

While it may seem that I am making light of this, the use of the word “Nigger” is a very serious issue. I don’t have to go into the history (at least I don’t think I do) of the word for one to know how serious of an issue it is. When I hear the word it does something to my ears…….like someone scraping his/her fingernails across a chalkboard, or the chalk squeaking on that same board. It hurts my ears to hear it and yet far too many of us just toss the word nigger around like it is nothing. We’ve even gotten so politically correct that we call it the “N” word. Enough is enough. We must stop pussy footing around and call it for what it is: we must stop using the word “Nigger”....... period. No soft –soaping; no different spellings (nigga, niggah,niggaz) ; no excuses about art imitating life (which is really art perpetuating bad life), etc. etc. etc. None of it! We must just stop using the word. It must be eradicated from our vocabulary. I even hear my Latino and Caucasian brothers talking about “That Nigger” with the irony of it all being that in many instances the conversation is with an African American. “Yo man, That Nigger crazy yo".......................

Historically African Americans are the only group that has taken a term that was meant to degrade us, and call themselves turning it cute; allegedly using it now as a “protest” to the fact that it was used to demean us. Ridiculous!!! Latinos are not running around talking about “That Spic,” nor are Italians running around talking about “That Guinea or That Wop” nor are Jews running around talking about "That Hymie.”  So I end this as I began with the question, can someone please tell me who "That Nigger" is?

Once again, something to critically think about. I welcome your response.

No comments: