Monday, August 1, 2011

A Book Worth Reading - President Reagan: The Role Of A Lifetime by Lou Cannon

I am absolutely amazed how many political pundits reference the glory days of President Ronald Reagan. It is abundantly clear that they haven’t read or have chosen to ignore author Lou Cannon’s book PRESIDENT REAGAN THE ROLE OF A LIFETIME.  While President Reagan may have indeed been a nice elderly fellow, Mr. Cannon’s chronicle clearly indicates that Mr. Reagan was not the "leader" the pundits keep raving about. I keep hearing the pundits quoting and touting Mr. Reagan’s leadership compared with President Obama’s when Mr. Cannon's book contradicts these assertions.  Cannon also observes, in evaluating Reagan's term in office, that while he may not have been a great president...he was a great American who held a compelling vision of his country. I believe it is this vision of the country that is being fantasized about today compared with the reality that actualized. For a dose of reality, I highly recommend the book PRESIDENT REAGAN THE ROLE OF A LIFETIME by Lou Cannon particularly to Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Rush Limbaugh and the like. If they haven’t read it, maybe they ought to. I agree with the review by The New Yorker that sees the work as “A superlative study of a president and his presidency…. A triumphant portrait.” I welcome your commentary in the comment section below.

1 comment:

Shannon @ Reading Has Purpose said...

I haven't heard much about this book. I've added Decision Points to my to be read list.

You're getting a lot more reading done than I am this summer. My tally for July = 0!

-Shannon