Sunday, April 28, 2013

I Need You - You Need Me

Welcome to another edition of  The Critical Thinker. I haven't had a lot to post about lately, but I felt like posting today. Yes, there was the Boston Bombings and a host of other things to write about, but I know whatever there is to be said about the bombing has been said.

I am posting on a somewhat lighter note today, yet an important topic that I believe I may have shared with this audience some years ago. The post came to my mind as I am currently being inconvenienced (notice I said inconvenienced and not suffering) by an ingrown hair bump on my right hand pointer or index finger. It sits right on the top of my finger, right before the finger joint. Believe it or not this tiny nodule, bump, wart or whatever you would like to call it, is throwing my entire finger off (even typing this entry has been interesting).

While it is not horridly painful, it can be felt every time my finger hits or rubs up against something and it has made the bending of my finger a task; a painful task. Have you had a paper cut or stubbed your toe?  Yes, it is that kind of annoyance. It made me think (this is The Critical Thinker) that every and I do mean every body part plays an important role in the success of the entire body. There is not one part of the body that is not vital. When everything is functioning well and as a team, the individual parts are not noticed; but let one part become infected, or injured and you know that body part is there. Even the tiniest part.  In fact, it seems that the infected or injured part becomes a magnet for constantly being touched or knocked up against, etc. etc. Constantly shouting "HELLO, I'M HERE."  You won't believe how many times this little bump has hit up against some of the craziest places sending a signal to my brain that it is there. This is a great metaphor for teamwork and for life.

Every job function and every human being is important. Don't believe me? Get a paper cut and see how important your fingers and your skin are. I close with this very familiar fable about the body parts who all wanted to be boss. I think you will get the message. As for me, right now this little bump on the top of my finger is sitting in the driver's seat.
THE BRAIN SAID : Since I control everything and do all the work I should be boss.
THE FEET SAID: Since I carry man where he wants to go and get him to do what the Brain wants, I should be boss.
THE HANDS SAID: Since I must do all the work and earn all the money to keep all the rest of you going, I should be boss.
THE EYES SAID: Since I must look out for all of you and tell you where danger lurks, I should be boss.
And so it went with the Heart, the Ears, and the Lungs.
Finally the Anus spoke up and demanded that he be boss. All the other parts laughed and laughed at the idea of an Anus being boss.
The Anus was so angered that he blocked himself off and refused to function. Soon the Brain was feverish, the Eyes crossed and ached, the Feet were too weak to walk, the Hands hung limply at his side, the Heart and Lungs struggled to keep going.
All pleaded with the Brain to relent and let the Anus be boss, and so Brain recognized the importance of the Anus and they all worked together.
MORAL: Every part of the body is equally important. 
I invite your commentary in the comment section of the blog and you are invited to follow me on Twitter @Thinkcritical01.