Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Nine Letter Word In A Two Word Greeting Does Not Require Short Hand



Xear's Day
Xing, Jr. Day
Xington's Birthday
Xorial Day
Xdence Day
Xor Day
Xbus Day
Xans Day
Xgiving Day
Xhog Day
Xentine's Day
Xth Day
National Xbor Day
Xother's Day
Xag Day
Xather's Day
Xtriot Day
Xoween
X Xor Day
Xppur
Xkkah
Xzaa

I think you get the point by now. As a critical thinker, I did indeed do my homework on this issue of shortening Christmas to Xmas and learned that the “X” is actually indicating the Greek letter “Chi”, which is short for the Greek meaning “Christ”. In other words we are using shorthand when we write Merry Xmas. While conceptually I understand that rationale, most people are not going to take the time to research Greek letters and thereby not really know the history. The letter "X" as we know it leaves too much room for misinterpretation. For example when Malcom Little (later also known as el-Hajj Malik el-Shabazz) changed his name to Malcolm X, his rationale was that the "X" represented the unknown name of his African ancestors and their culture that had been lost during slavery. In 2013, nearly 2014, usually when one sees an X over something in a circle, it usually means "no" or "don't." My point is, the letter "X" as we know it today usually is associated with blotting something out or something that is not acceptable or is unknown, hence the outcry of people saying do not take the Christ out of Christmas. Even if we were to go with the shorthand explanation, take a look at the list above. Does each name of the celebrated or acknowledged day have the same feel it does when you say or write the entire word? So even if historically the letter "X" may be Christ in Greek lettering, is it that much more trouble to write the five additional letters in Christmas (9 letters) vs. the 4 letters in Xmas. I just don't believe we are that scholarly to know that we are using Greek shorthand when we are writing and displaying Merry Xmas. I could be wrong, but as for me, I am spelling out the entire word Christmas in my correspondence and in my verbal greetings. I choose to keep the spelling and use the letters in the alphabet that we know to write the word Christmas. As always, something to critically think about. I invite you to listen to The Critical Thinker on each Saturday morning beginning at 6 a.m. ET on gobrave.org and follow on Twitter @thinkcritical01.com

No comments: