Wednesday, July 3, 2013

It's Been A Rough Couple of Weeks - What's Going On?

It's been a rough couple of weeks to the point where I haven't been able to figure out my words and thoughts for this post. One of Bob Grant's most popular lines as a talk show host is "It's sick out there and getting sicker"  and there seems to be more and more merit to his statement. Not that any of the events of the last few days are new; it just seems like it has been a bombardment of "sickness" out there. Sickness ranging from the Aaron Hernandez case; to Rachel Jeantel exposing her illiteracy on a worldwide stage; to one of my former students being charged with a senseless murder; to a caller named "Marcus" defending why Black people should be able to use the word "nigger" on the Geraldo Rivera show that was hosted by Larry O'Connor in Geraldo's absence. The sickness seems to abound; to flurry. For once I am truly at a loss for words as I have watched these events unfold.

The caller Marcus actually shared on the air his nonsensical rules with talk show host Larry O'Connor as to who and how the word "nigger" should be used by Blacks and Latinos. It was an absurd conversation. In 1971, Marvin Gaye melodically crooned the question "What's Going On?"  That is still a relevant question in 2013, probably even more so. In fact, since I am at a loss for words, I will close this post with Marvin singing his classic "What's Going On?"  Something to critically think about. I welcome your commentary and invite you to follow The Critical Thinker on Twitter @thinkcritical01.



No comments: