Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pull Up - Don't Sink

For those of you who have followed me for any length of time, you probably know that I am an aviation enthusiast. I have loved planes and flying since I was a child. I served nine years in the New Jersey Air National Guard as a jet engine mechanic in the 108th Air Refueling Wing, have flown a Cessna out of Teterboro Airport and I pilot various commercial planes and fighter jets using Microsoft Flight Simulator X. The concept for this post came to me one day while I was descending onto the runway as I listened to the voice in my headsets telling me to "Pull up - Don't sink."  As I am landing the aircraft, those are the words that continuously play until the plane has safely touched down onto the runway. I thought to myself how those words would make a wonderful sermon or blog post title as they have more meaning to them than in the flight simulator; they have a meaning for life.  When you think about it, the words "Pull Up - Don't Sink," is a great reminder to us to always take the high road and to not allow people or circumstances to bring us down. What a wonderful reminder to us to not sink to someone's level  when he/she is acting in a low energy or low level manner towards us. Sinking to someone's low level is a choice that we do not have to make. We can always choose to "pull up" and "not sink." So the next time someone is looking to drag you down to his/her level, think of the words of Mark Twain when he says “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience,”  or Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”  In other words, "Pull Up - Don't Sink." Something to critically think about. I welcome your thoughts and commentary in the comment section of the blog and to follow the critical thinker on Twitter @thinkcritical01 and on Tumblr @thecriticalthinker01.tumblr.com.   

No comments: