Thursday, August 31, 2017

There Is A Difference Between Stupid and Ignorant

This is another one of my Seinfeld like posts wherein I'm sure no one has taken the time to really think about this. If you recall the show Seinfeld, the show mostly was about things we take for granted and never give much thought to until it is brought to our attention. Well, this post does that.

For the most part, unwittingly we use the terms "stupid" and "ignorant" interchangeably when in reality they do not mean the same thing. When I started doing my research for this post I found myself having to dig a little deeper than I had anticipated once I read the dictionary definitions of each word. You'll see what I am referring to as you keep reading.


"Knowledge" and "intelligence."  leaped at me from the respective definitions as I know these two words are often used interchangeably as well. Hence my having to dig a little deeper. so I followed the same thought process. Let's take a look at the definitions of knowledge and intelligence.




If you notice as I did in reading the definitions, one who acts or is stupid, lacks intelligence, while one who acts or is ignorant lacks knowledge. One who acts or is stupid lacks the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills, while one who acts or is ignorant lacks facts, information, awareness, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education. That's the difference.

When we call someone stupid or when someone is acting in a stupid manner, what we are saying is that he/she does not have the ability to acquire/apply knowledge and skills versus someone who has the ability and is unaware or acts as if he/she is unaware.

Most of us are far more ignorant than we are knowledgeable about many subjects. Most of us are experts in one or two areas. That does not make us stupid. Just because I do not know Astrophysics, does not mean that I am stupid. Most of us probably fall into the category of ignorant than stupid.

We see and experience many stupid acts, stupid thoughts and stupid words said on a daily basis. There are things that many of us see others do that we question ourselves saying, "Now you can't tell me that he/she did not know better than that?"  We say to ourselves, "It seems to me that common sense would have told him/her, not to do or say that." For those who are truly stupid, they never grasped reasoning, comprehension, judgment, and understanding. That's why you could have someone playing music in their backyards at 150 decibels at 11:30 p.m. and not understand why the neighbors are complaining or the police are called. Examples such as this could go on and on.

Lastly, it's one thing to be ignorant and it's another thing to be ignorant and just not care. There are certain areas such as parenting, leadership, and relationships (there are others I am sure) that while we may begin as ignorant, we cannot afford to stay ignorant. Contrary to the old adage that "Ignorance is Bliss," in many areas it is not nor should it be.  Being ignorant about something that you know you need to be aware of, means that action must be taken. Intentional ignorance is costly.  In 2017 with all of the technology and information that is available to us, there really is no excuse for anyone to remain ignorant in anything that really matters in life. I am not talking about a subject like Astrophysics unless you intend to be an astrophysicist. I am talking about everyday life experiences that we cannot afford to be ignorant in. Because of intentional ignorance, our children are running amok. Because of intentional ignorance, our country [U.S.A] is being run off of the rails. Because of intentional ignorance, our world is going to Hell in a handbasket. When do we say enough? Nero is fiddling while Rome burns.

So, we really must take a look at who and what we call stupid compared with who and what we call ignorant as they are two different meanings. One who is ignorant has the ability compared with one who is stupid does not. Something to critically think about........

Hear me live on Saturdays beginning at 6:00 a.m. ET on gobrave.org and FM Radio WP88.7 FM in the northern N.J. areas. You can also hear my podcast, The Marc Medley Show on Apple Podcasts, TuneIn Radio, iHeart Radio, YouTube and Spreaker. I invite you to subscribe to the podcast and my YouTube Channel Marc Medley.

No comments: